Mental health staff

Whether you are receiving care at home or in hospital, you will be supported by a team of healthcare professionals. They are often called a ‘multi-disciplinary team’. 

Key members of the team and what they do

Clinical psychologist

You may be referred to a clinical psychologist who may offer therapies such as construct therapy or cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), which means that they work closely with you to understand the psychological aspects of your problems and find the best way to achieve a positive change. Therapy can be offered on an individual, couple or family basis.

Consultant psychiatrist

Your consultant psychiatrist is responsible for all your care and treatment while you are in our care. The consultant will discuss your condition and the best forms of treatment for you.

Doctor (registrar, junior doctor)

A doctor will see you regularly on the ward or in your home throughout the week. These are qualified doctors who are working to become consultants: they work closely with your consultant.

Healthcare assistant

The NHS employs healthcare assistants to work with nurses and other healthcare professionals. Under the supervision of professional staff, they will help you with every day things such as washing, dressing and eating. They may also help monitor your physical health by taking your temperature, pulse, respiration and weight.

Named nurse

Your named nurse is responsible for coordinating your care treatment. He/she will be your main link with the rest of the people involved in your care (e.g. your consultant, occupational therapist). Please feel free to speak to your named nurse about any requests or concerns you may have.

Occupational therapist

An occupational therapist may organise a programme of therapeutic activities for you during your stay. This could include educational, recreational or physical activities. The therapist may also help you with daily living skills and discuss with you what activities might be helpful for you after discharge.

Social worker

If necessary, you may be referred to a social worker who can assist you. Social workers are able to assess what your social needs are and can offer therapeutic support.

Team manager

The team manager is the person in charge of the Community Mental Health or Home Treatment team providing your care. He/she is the best person to see if you have any concerns about your care which you cannot discuss with your key worker.

Ward manager

If you are in an inpatient ward, the person with overall responsibility is the manager. He/she will be a qualified and a experienced nurse. If you have any concerns about your care, the ward manager is the best person to talk to if you cannot discuss it with your named nurse or care co-coordinator.