Your child's flu vaccination is due now
Date: 12 September 2022
Your Child’s School Aged Flu Vaccination is now due.
The Enfield School Aged Immunisation Team will shortly be visiting your child’s school to give the flu nasal spray as part of an NHS National Programme for all children in primary school years as well as year 7,8 and 9 in Secondary school. The school visit will take place between October and December.
This vaccination is recommended to help protect your child against flu. Flu can be an unpleasant illness and can cause serious complications. Vaccinating children will also help protect more vulnerable family and friends by preventing the spread of flu. There may be a rebound in flu levels this winter following low levels in the past 2 years because of COVID-19 restrictions.
Your consent is needed to give this vaccine to your child. To provide your consent, please do the following:
- Check your school emails for the link to the NHS Flu eConsent and complete one per child.
- If not received ,check your junk mail, or contact your school.
- We would be grateful if you could complete the eConsent form for the vaccination as soon as possible. If you prefer your child not to be vaccinated, please complete the ‘no consent’ section and we will no longer contact you for consent.
- If you are unable to access the eConsent form on your mobile phone, please try a different device like a laptop, desktop, or iPad. Some mobile phones do not support the eConsent portal.
- Please note: The Flu Nasal spray contains porcine gelatine, there is an alternative available. Information on this can be found here. You can choose your preferred vaccine option on the Econsent form.
The vaccination is free and is a simple, and painless nasal spray. Even if children had the vaccine last year, the type of flu can vary each winter, so it is recommended to have it again this year or they won’t be protected.
For further information explaining the vaccination programme including details about the small number of children for whom the nasal vaccine is not appropriate, please visit here. Since the programme was introduced, most children offered the vaccine in schools have had the immunisation. If you have any queries, please contact the Enfield School Aged Immunisation Team by phone on 0208 702 3499 or email BEH-tr.EnfieldImmunisationTeam@nhs.net
Read full letter here