BEH Aspire Programme
Date: 24 January 2023
At Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health Trust (BEH), we provide services across a wide and diverse population in North Central London. We are a socially, religiously, culturally and ethnically diverse borough. Our psychological therapy leads are committed to developing a workforce that reflects and can serve these communities, and provide the necessary experience to aspiring clinical psychologists.
Within each division, the psychological therapies leads will oversee the local programme and coordinate a Trust-wide group for the candidates to ensure they receive a broad range of experience, including supportive reflective practice spaces. This is to facilitate the next step in their career progressions. We have successfully recruited to six roles in the first round of funding and would like to be able continue and extend the programme in BEH, learning from the feedback from our first cohort.
We will continue to offer experiences that will facilitate accessing future employment in mental health and the experience needed to apply for careers in clinical psychology including:
- Insight into the roles of practitioner psychologist in MDTs via shadowing and observation
- clinical skills in assessment formulation and clinical interventions
- skills in audit, service evaluation, QI, quality assurance and patient engagement
- participation in CPD offerings.
Watch this short video from Assistant Psychologist Mariyam Adesanwo, a beneficiary of the Aspire programme.
We will tailor the experience based on feedback from the first cohort and then continue to offer a range of clinical experience, across specialities, direct and indirect work, clinical assessment and supervision, individual and group/family work, data collection and analysis.
They will have experience of at least two different clinical models and gain experience of audit /service evaluation. We will assign each individual to a core area with options to gain experience in at least one other area - these would include Adult Community (including EIS, Rehab and personality Disorder), Older Adult Mental Health Services, CAMHS, Learning Disability and Psychiatric Liaison. The AP's will have access to AP groups and be encouraged to keep a reflective log to be discussed in supervision.
The clinical exprience will include:
- Experience of working as part of an MDT
- direct and indirect clinical work supporting the work of aultified clinical psychologist includng the assessment and treament of clinetns across the life cylce
- support the running of groups
- collect outcome measures and understand the value of data in service planing via participation in small scale service evaluation, audit and supporting QI projects
- opportunities to facilitate service user groups/co-production meetings with supervision from trainees and qualified clinical psychologists.