Specialist perinatal services
We are a community-based mental health team serving the needs of pregnant and postnatal women with moderate to severe mental health needs.
Jules Thorn Day Unit
St Pancras Hospital
Tel: 020 3317 7114
Opening hours: Mondays to Fridays, 9am - 5pm
Who we are and what we doThe North London Partners Specialist Perinatal Mental Health Service (SPMHS) is a community-based mental health team serving the needs of pregnant and postnatal women with moderate to severe mental health needs. The team comprises of perinatal psychiatrists, clinical nurse specialists, a clinical psychologist and administrators.
We assess and treat mental health problems in women who are:
- planning a pregnancy and need advice
- currently pregnant or have had a baby in the past six months
- from pregnancy have developed new onset mental illness or relapsed during pregnancy or during the six months after delivery who are at high risk of becoming acutely unwell in pregnancy or postnatally
Who the service is for
- North Middlesex University Hospital (NMUH)
- Royal Free Hospital (RFH)
- Barnet Hospital
- University College London Hospital (UCLH)
- Whittington Hospital
We will see women:
- over 18 years old
- who are currently in the care of psychiatric services; or with a current or previous severe mental illness, including schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, postpartum psychosis (also known as puerperal psychosis), other psychotic disorders, severe affective disorder, severe anxiety disorders e.g. post-traumatic stress disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, personality disorder
- who are planning a pregnancy or are pregnant.
- who have had a relapse of serious mental illness following the birth of their baby with follow-up for up to 12 months.
Exclusions: Substance misuse problems in the absence of mental health problems.
Women experiencing milder forms of perinatal mental health problems should consult their midwives, health visitor and GP for other support available in the NHS such as talking therapy.
How to access the service
- Summary:We are a community-based mental health team serving the needs of pregnant and postnatal women with moderate to severe mental health needs.
- Personality Disorder
- Psychotic Depression
- Bi-polar Disorder
- Surrounding areas
- Map Location: