Hawthorn recovery unit
Hawthorn Recovery Unit provides assessment, treatment and rehabilitation for older adults with acute and complex mental health problems.
Hawthorn Recovery Unit
Chase Farm Hospital
Tel: 0208 702 4426
Manager: Gwennie Oakley
Opening hours: 8:30am – 4:30pm
Who we are
Hawthorn Recovery Unit team includes doctors, nurses, occupational therapists, psychologists and physiotherapists.
What we offer
Hawthorn Recovery Unit provides assessment, treatment and rehabilitation for older adults with acute and complex mental health problems. Attendance is dependent on need. For example, it may be once a week up to a maximum of five days a week.
Interventions provided include:
• Medication review and monitoring of medication changes
• Support with medication management where there are issues of non-compliance or unsafe use of medication
• Group Therapy including talking and practical therapies
• Individual sessions linking with personal care plan goals
• Wellbeing Interventions to support good mobility, appropriate nutrition, and smoking cessation
• Support to engage with community resources to support recovery
The service aims to provide treatment without the need for ward admission. For those who are already on wards staff will work closely with the ward teams to facilitate early discharge.
After discharge patients are encouraged to engage in community based activities. Follow-up may also be provided by the Older People’s Community Mental Health Team.
Who the service is for
People aged 65 and over with acute and complex mental health problems.
How you can access our service
Any professional within Older People’s Mental Health services for Enfield and Haringey can refer to the Hawthorn Recovery Unit.
Service users referred are expected to attend an initial assessment to establish suitability for the service, and this assessment can involve a family member.