Adult Learning Disability Service – Haringey
We provide services for adults with learning disabilities in Haringey. This is an integrated service between Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust, Whittington Health NHS Trust and Haringey Social Services.
Haringey Learning Disability Partnership
225 River Park House
Tel: 020 8489 0000
BEH service leads: Dr Ken Courtenay, Consultant Psychiatrist and Dr Katrin Edelman, Clinical Director
Psychiatry clinics are held at Winkfield Resource Centre, 33 Winkfield Rd, Wood Green, London N22 5RP.
What is a learning disability?
A learning disability is a disorder which starts during the developmental period (during childhood) that causes deficits in intellectual functioning as well as in adaptive functioning.
What causes intellectual disability?
There are many reasons why people have learning disabilities. Sometimes it is a genetic condition like Down’s Syndrome, Prader Willi or Fragile X. In most cases we do not know the cause of learning disability.
A learning disability can be caused by brain due to things like infections, accidents or being hurt. This can happen anytime during pregnancy, childbirth to childhood.
Who we are
The Adult Learning Disability Service – Haringey provides services for adults with learning disabilities in Haringey and is run by Haringey Learning Disability Partnership (HLDP). This is an integrated service between Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health Trust, Whittington Health NHS Trust and Haringey social services.
Members of our learning disability team are:
- Psychiatrists - Dr Ken Courtenay (Consultant Psychiatrist), Dr B Perera (Consultant Psychiatrist), Dr S Islam (Specialty Registrar), and a core trainee and foundation trainee in psychiatry
- Psychologists - Sheetal Gopal, Sophie Burgen, Sophie and assistant psychologists
- Learning disability nurses - SuadMusa, Bernadette Mcnamara, Sue Bhunjun, JanceLeporice, James Shears and Joe Roake
- Speech and language therapists
- Occupational therapists
- Social workers
- Admin staff
- Team managers
What we offer
- Assessment and care management
- Assessment and treatment for people with learning disabilities and mental health needs
- Residential care, covering both respite care and adult placements
- Social care community support
- NHS community health care (nursing, speech and language therapy, physiotherapy, occupational therapy, music therapy, psychology and psychiatry)
Who the service is for
Adults over the age of 18.
How you can access our service
We accept self-referrals and referrals from carers and health professionals. Please complete the form below and send it to the details on the form.
- Summary:We provide services for adults with learning disabilities in Haringey. This is an integrated service between Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust, Whittington Health NHS Trust and Haringey Social Services.
- Condition:Learning Disability
- Map Location:
- Service category:Mental Health Services